The Water Linked Modem M64 is a two-way half-duplex 64bps acoustic modem with a robust and user configurable data link. The operating principles can be found on the Water Linked website: Underwater Communication
The M64 sets a new market standard with its record-breaking physical size, low power requirement and cost. All this combined with a very useful technical specification, the M64 opens new possibilities for underwater communication in both existing and new areas.
The Modem M64 has the following key specifications:
- Two-way communication
- 64 bit per second net data link, both ways
- Typical latency ~500ms
- 200 meter range
- AUV telemetry
- ROV wireless control
- Wireless subsea sensors
- Research projects
- Any scenario where you need to wirelessly control and monitor subsea equipment
- Omnidirectional operation which will keep the data link stable even when the modem is in motion and/or being rotated around its axes.
- Fully self-contained with no requirements for external computers, top-side controllers or other devices.
- Packet based protocol with extensive use of error detection to enable a highly robust transmission.
- The integrated status LED makes it easy to confirm that the communication link is established and when data is transferred.
- Serial 9600 baud UART 3.3V interface makes the M64 easy to integrate with other subsea equipment like sensors, ROVs and AUVs.
- Easy to use API to transmit/receive packages etc.
- Can be used in a setup where one modem transmits and receives while many other modems receives.
- Can operate simultaneous with Underwater GPS.
- Extremely small size enabling easy integration in other equipment.
- Very low power consumption.
- Highly robust operation, also in areas with acoustic reflections (shallow water, around installations etc.)